The Day Of Surgery
On the day of surgery, you will need to arrive at the hospital about two hours before your scheduled procedure. Again, you will be told where to check in when you call to confirm the day before surgery (see above).
After checking-in, you will be escorted to an area where you will change into a hospital gown and be helped onto a bed. A family member or friend can keep your belongings, or we can store them for you. They can also stay with you until it is time for you to go to the Operating Room. When you are taken to the Operating Room, your friend or family will be directed to the surgical waiting area.
Some helpful hints include:
- Wear loose fitting clothing. Do not wear any makeup or jewelry (including , watches, necklaces or earrings). Leave your contact lenses at home and bring eyeglasses.
- Leave your wallet and all other valuables including cell phones and pagers at home. Limit personal belongings and the amount of cash you bring. Feel free to bring a robe and toiletries if you are going to be admitted to the hospital.
- If appropriate, bring your crutches or walker to the hospital. Please label these with your full name and telephone number.
- Remove all fingernail and toenail polish.
- If you are having day surgery, confirm your discharge plans with family or friends. Be sure to arrange for a responsible adult who can take you home. You will not be allowed to drive after anesthesia.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight unless otherwise directed. Even a cup of coffee, juice, or water on the morning of surgery is prohibited. The reason for this is to minimize the risks of “aspiration.” Aspiration is when stomach contents enter the lungs during anesthesia, causing irritation and even pneumonia.
- During your pre-operative visit, you will be told which, if any, medications to take on the morning of surgery. Do so using only a sip or two of water.
Please note that you will meet with Dr. Chiodo on the day of surgery, prior to going into the Operating Room. At this time, he will be able to address any remaining questions that you have.